Assist with technical and specialized work of a skilled nature in connection with electrical and control systems; analysis, detection and repair of single loop control systems , electronic devices, communication systems, and instruments such as meters, gauges and regulators; assist others in making tests, surveys and layout work and the development of reports documenting results.
1. 1. Assist in locating and repairing defects in control systems involving electrical, electronic, mechanical, pneumatic or hydraulic components, using elementary, wiring, schematic, logic or control diagrams.
2. 2. Assist in the install, remove, inspect, adjust, repair and calibrate instrumentation not associated with active trips such as: pressure, temperature, flow, gas analyzing, transmitting, receiving, recording, chemical testing devices and other equipment as assigned. Make simple circuit analysis and repair relays, electronic devices, meters, communication components and similar circuits.
3. 3. Perform simple control system monitoring utilizing available systems including data historians and stand-alone data collection systems to complete minor program modifications using a computer interface terminal as directed.
4. 4. Assist in low and medium voltage circuit breaker electrical /mechanical interlock checks, repairs and adjustments that are associated with breakers and plant electrical control and distribution systems.
5. 5. Assist in or perform preventive maintenance and repair activities on equipment such as: batteries, motors, compressed air systems, fork-lifts, electric heaters, etc.
6. 6. Make required equipment checks and inspections. Record data, assist in performing tests and prepare reports, graphs, sketches and curves. Compile and record data relating to projects, tests, investigations. Insure all work is performed in accordance with all standards and specifications.
7. 7. Assist others in engineering layouts and preparing data for engineering procedures, specifications, contracts, bills of materials and requisitions for the installation, maintenance and operation of equipment if applicable.
8. 8. Use the work management system to locate or request parts, create work requests/work orders, search and record work histories if applicable.
9. 9. As directed, request and accept permits to insure that equipment to be worked on has been properly cleared and tagged.
10. 10. Assist in installing and removing grounds as directed.
11. 11. Perform all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements: Must be able to pass an examination, if required, and in addition:
Two year Associates degree in electronics or a qualifying Engineering or Science, or high school diploma with two or more years of related military experience, or a high school diploma with 5 or more years of related industrial technical electrical or controls experience and in addition:
Must have the knowledge and skill necessary to perform work in the installation, inspection, repair, adjustment, calibration and servicing of instruments and controls.
Must be able to read, interpret and work from simple prints, sketches and specifications.
Must be able to work effectively with other employees and learn to instruct and direct other employees.
Must have demonstrated the ability to physically and mentally perform work in all areas and heights required
Additional Information: 1) Must possess the appropriate State driver's license.
2) Successful completion of the Plant Maintenance Selection System (MASS) test is required for this position. A review of Employment Testing Information, Test-Taking Tips, and the POSS Practice Test may be helpful. A link to these materials may be found at AEP.com Careers by selecting Employment testing.
3) A physical abilities assessment is also required for this position.
4) Perform duties in accordance with all federal, state, local and company environmental, safety and health regulations, policies, procedures, rules and practices.
5) Report unsafe conditions, practices, irregularities and abnormal conditions to appropriate supervision. Stop all unsafe work.
6) Will need to become knowledgeable of OSHA, Regulatory, and Environmental guidelines, policies, and procedures.
Physical Demands:1) Lifting up to 50 pounds; carry 35 pounds, push pull up to 65 pounds
2) Frequent walking and standing
3) Climb ladders and stairs, squat, kneel
4) Ability to use hand tools and motorized equipment
5) Environmental conditions of cold, heat, dust, fumes