Job Title: Backroom Manager FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Grocery Revision Date: 05/2013
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Receives product, verifies invoices, delivers product to the appropriate department in a prompt, efficient, friendly and safe manner.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director; Assistant Director; Store Operations, Perishables, Health Wellness Home; Managers of Store Operations, Perishables, Health Wellness Home; Assistant Managers;
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
2. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
3. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
4. Assists customers by: (examples include)
escorting them to the products they're looking for
securing products that are out of reach
loading or unloading heavy items
making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
5. Answers the telephone promptly and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
6. Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
7. Works with company's subsidiaries; PDI, Lomar, D&D, FDI, Hy-Vee Warehouse to receive product. Ensures receipts and takes to accounting in a timely manner.
8. Plans, prepares, and adjusts work schedules and assigns employees to specific duties and follows up to ensure duties are properly completed in a timely manner.
9. Unloads products from truck and ensures placement in a non-intrusive area.
10. Uses forklifts (electric and manual) to unload trucks and place in backroom.
11. Delivers items to the appropriate department.
12. Checks invoices for accuracy and signs vendor paper work.
13. Receives all vendor orders.
14. Protects cold food chain and integrity of product.
15. Scans product or works with scanning coordinator (bas unit product into the system).
16. Coordinates the receipt and lock up of controlled items, e.g. (liquor, cigarettes, pharmacy inventory).
17. Works with returned items, writes up items with drivers, ensures the signed receipts are returned to the accounting office in a timely manner.
18. Maintains area for sale items to ensure convenience for the management team (displays, etc.)
19. Maintains a clean and orderly backroom (sweep daily).
20. Ensures cardboard and trash areas are clean daily.
21. Aware of store's needs, specifically in the grocery department.
22. Keep training certifications current. i.e. forklift certifications
23. Works with the internal customers in a timely and efficient manner.
24. Works in a safe and efficient manner to reduce product damage and spoilage.
25. Works for the store department to do small equipment repairs.
26. Maintains cleanliness outside of store to the dock area, and behind the store.
27. Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
28. Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
29. Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Answers questions from outside customers and helps whenever necessary.
2. Assists in other areas of store as needed.
3. Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Responsible for managing the backroom duties and employees.
Education and Experience:
High School or equivalent experience. Six months to one year of similar or related experience. Supervisory experience preferred.
Must be physically able to exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally; exert up to 50 pounds of force frequently; and exert up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception, color vision, and field of vision.
Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
Must have the ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or verbal instructions; deal with a few concrete variables.
Ability to do simple addition and subtraction; copying figures, counting and recording.
Possess the ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies orally or in writing.
This position is continually exposed to dirt. There is frequent exposure to temperature extremes, dampness, equipment movement hazards and cleaning chemicals/solvents.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Electric pallet jack, hand pallet jack, RPM unit, telmar computer, intercom system, forklift, telephone, and two-wheeler (hand trucks).
Has daily contact with internal customers, suppliers/vendors, and the general public.