A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
JOB TITLE: Technician- Making
Family: Plant Operations
Function: Supply Chain
Location: Aurora, NE
JOB REPORTS TO: Shift Manager
The Making Technician safely and efficiently receives, analyzes and processes raw ingredients through four major areas/systems (receiving, batching, extrusion, and flavor enhancement) to make high quality pet food that meets or exceeds all specifications set by Mars Petcare in the amount and schedule dictated by business needs.
1. Perform all of the following duties on a rotational basis in the processing area of the plant. This includes operating all systems, performing all quality checks, maintaining conformance reports
and system logs, and troubleshooting all aspects of each system :
Extrusion - extrude mixed meal and dry kibbles that meet all quality specifications and optimize plant capacity.
2. Manage and set strategy for the four processing systems to ensure meeting or exceeding production schedule in the most efficient manner possible.
3. Maintain a safe and clean work environment to promote associate safety and product integrity.
4. Ability to actively address food safety and quality concerns.
5. Troubleshoot processing systems that are not performing properly and take corrective action to
ensure product quality while minimizing unnecessary downtime.
6. Improve operations through individual and group problem solving and provide leadership in solving problems on the floor and in meetings.
7. Promote high quality team environment through effective team work and self management with a positive attitude.
8. Immediately notify making area mechanic of any issues that require support to resume operations in the event of downtime.
1. Participate in site action circles and focus groups as appropriate.
2. Train other area associates in operation of all areas and systems.
3. Other similar duties as assigned.
4. Must be able and willing to cover overtime in alignment with the site responsibility coverage policy.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
Extruder Operating experience is preferred.
High School Diploma and 1 to 2 years of experience (manufacturing environment preferred).
Good math, reading and writing skills.
High level of mechanical aptitude and knowledge with good skills in troubleshooting and problem solving.
Excellent housekeeping skills and knowledge of GMP's.
Good knowledge of personal computers.
Ability and willingness to develop and manage self, demonstrate self directed workgroup leadership and contribute to efficiency, quality and cost optimization with minimal supervision and a positive attitude.
Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Ability to work 8 hour rotating shifts under variable conditions such as heat, cold, high and /or confined spaces and have full mobility with ability to climb ladders and stairs and do repetitive bending and twisting.
Ability to work with hazardous chemicals (phosphoric acid and sodium hydroxide) and work with exposure to pressurized steam.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.