Job Title: Barista FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Coffee Shop Revision Date: 05/2015
As a Coffee Shop Barista, this position will be responsible for reviewing and filling customer orders for the day, handling food in a safe manner and ensuring the work area is always clean and neat. Additionally you will ensure a positive company image by providing courteous, friendly, and efficient customer service to customers and team members.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director, Assistant Store Director; Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations, Assistant Managers, Coffee Shop Manager, Assistant Coffee Shop Manager
Direct Reports: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
2. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
3. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
4. Assists customers by: (examples include)
escorting them to the products they're looking for
securing products that are out of reach
loading or unloading heavy items
making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience.
5. Answers the telephone promptly when called upon, and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call including taking customer orders.
6. Takes customer orders at the counter.
7. Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
8. Handles food in a safe manner and ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
9. Reviews the status and appearance of the food for freshness.
10. Ensures that an adequate food supply is ready and on hand and develops or follows a production list.
11. Anticipates product needs for the department on a daily basis
12. Prepares and replenishes product as necessary.
13. Checks in product, puts product away, and may review invoices.
14. Runs the department registers and receives payment, makes change, etc., where applicable.
15. Removes trash in a timely manner.
16. Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
17. Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
18. Reports to work when scheduled and on time
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Washes dishes as necessary.
2. Orders product and supplies as necessary.
3. Prices products for customers as necessary.
4. Assists in other areas of store as needed.
5. Performs other job related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
Less than high school or equivalent experience and six months or less of similar or related work experience.
Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, 20 pounds of force frequently, and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Visual requirements include clarity of vision at a distance of more than 20 inches and less than 20 feet with our without correction, color vision, depth perception and field of vision.
Must be able to perform the following physical activities: Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
Must have the ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or verbal instructions; deal with a few concrete variables.
Ability to do simple addition and subtraction; copying figures, counting and recording.
Possess the ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies orally or in writing.
The duties for this position are normally conducted in a store environment. There is significant pressure to meet deadlines and handle multiple priorities. There is exposure to noise, equipment movement hazards, cleaning chemicals/solvents, and possible electrical shock and temperature extremes.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Standard tools and equipment used in a coffee shop environment including disposal, trash compactor, dishwasher, register system, ice machines, pop machine, scales, and knives.
Has daily contact with the general public and customers. Has contact with federal/state governmental or regulatory agencies regarding inspections.