Job Title: HealthMarket Clerk FLSA: Non-Exempt
Department: Health Revision Date: 05/2015
Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service. Handles health items and food in a safe manner and ensures the work area is always clean and neat. Reviews the status and appearance of the merchandise for freshness.
Accountable and Reports to: Store Director, Managers GM, Perishables, and Store Operations, Assistant Managers, Health Market Manager, Assistant Manager
Positions that Report to you: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer interactions and treating customers as the most important people in the store.
2. Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or elsewhere in the store.
3. Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by name whenever possible.
4. Assists customers by:
escorting them to the products they're looking for
securing products that are out of reach
loading or unloading heavy items
making note of and passing along customer suggestions or requests
performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the shopping experience
5. Answers the telephone promptly when called upon, and provides friendly, helpful service to customers who call including taking customer orders.
6. Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction and a pleasant work environment.
7. Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
8. Reviews the status and appearance of the merchandise for freshness.
9. Ensures an adequate product supply is ready and on hand and develops or follows a production list.
10. For the purposes of homeopathic and natural wellness products, employee will assist customers by accessing/obtaining information and pointing to the product, however will not provide instruction on the product or its use.
11. Anticipates product needs for the department on a daily basis.
12. Checks in product, puts product away, and may review invoices.
13. Reviews the status and appearance of the food for freshness and replenishes and rotates product.
14. Removes trash in a timely manner.
15. Replenishes product as necessary.
16. Assists in educating customers by offering suggestions and answering questions, etc.
17. Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines related to personal hygiene and dress.
18. Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
19. Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Orders product and supplies as necessary.
2. Prices products for customers as necessary.
3. Delivers orders as needed.
4. Assists in other areas of store as needed.
5. Performs other job-related duties and special projects as required.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalent preferred; Six months previous related work experience.
Visual requirements include: ability to see detail at near range with or without correction, depth perception, color vision (ability to identify and distinguish color), and field of vision.
Must be able to physically perform medium work: exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, 20 pounds of force frequently, and 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Must be able to perform the following physical activities: balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, handling, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing and repetitive motions.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Worker Characteristics:
Commitment to the Hy-Vee Mission and a willingness to promote the values of the company.
Must have the ability to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or verbal instructions; deal with a few concrete variables.
Ability to do simple addition and subtraction; copying figures, counting and recording.
Possess the ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated instructions; write identifying information; request supplies orally or in writing.
This position is exposed daily to dirt, noise, temperature extremes, dampness, vibrations, equipment movement hazards, cleaning chemicals/solvents, and electrical shock. This is a fast paced work environment.
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Knives, wrapping machine, cash register, pallet jack, garbage disposal, trash compactor, cardboard compactor, and calculator
Deals with customers and general public on a daily basis.