POSITION TITLE: Transit Driver-Van Tran Driver Extraboard
STATUS: Extraboard Non-scheduled Mon - Sat
SALARY: Training Rate $12.50/hr.
Van Tran Driver Rate $22.05/hr.
Transit Driver rate $28.27/hr.
UNION STATUS: 02 Laborers 942
REPORTS TO: Transit Supervisor
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
CLOSING DATE: 09/18/19 9:00 pm AK
Extraboard Bus drivers employed by the FNSB Metropolitan Area Commuter System (MACS) are responsible for the efficient operation of transit buses and vans to provide safe, timely, and courteous public transportation, and perform all the functions of the Van Tran Extraboard position, including backfill for Customer Service Representatives. Pay rate is established based upon the salary schedules for the job being performed.
Transit Extraboards also assist in performing routine servicing and cleaning functions on vehicles and related equipment and perform janitorial functions for the facilities and grounds of the Transportation Maintenance Garage, Bus Shelters, and portions of the Transit Center.
1. Responsible for the operation of transit buses and vans ranging in size from 10-48 passenger capacity on urban and rural road systems under severe arctic climatic conditions a major portion of the year, and for knowing and obeying all local and State traffic laws and employer work rules. Van Tran duties include the safe operation of an 11-passenger van and providing door to door assistance for its clients.
2. Performs preliminary vehicle inspections before, during, and at the conclusion of work shift to assure that all lighting systems are operational, tires are properly inflated, and that engine gauges are within normal limits. Immediately reports irregularities and damage to supervisor or shop personnel and maintains accurate vehicle operations logs.
3. Responsible for maintaining route schedule, stopping at all designated pick-up points, providing passenger information, assisting passengers in boarding and disembarking as needed; accountable for fare collection, timely reporting of incidents/accidents, and completion of documentation required by procedures and/or supervisory instructions.
4. As Transit Servicer:
A) Performs routine preventative servicing on Borough vehicles to include, but not limited to, fueling, maintaining fluid levels (engine oil, radiator, transmission, etc.), checking tire pressures, bleeding air tanks, and other similar tasks.
B) Cleans the inside and outside of vehicles including windows, seats, dash panels, and floor.
C) Operate all vehicles in the fleet, ranging from passenger cars to large passenger buses.
D) Assists the mechanics in non-technical shop functions and as mechanics helper as needed.
E) Keeps track of all maintenance related actions by logging entries in the proper records. Perform dispatch function for drivers during non-staffed periods.
F) Perform janitorial duties in the garage, facilities, and grounds, to include cleaning floors, trash collection, and snow removal. Regularly clean bus shelters. Perform minor facility maintenance. On a backup basis, may perform other cleaning such as restrooms, fixtures, vacuuming, etc.
G) Secure the property by securing doors and gates.
H) May be assigned to other tasks compatible with primary job classification.
1. One (1) year recent professional experience as a commercial driver operating gasoline/diesel powered buses of at least 20,000 GW; or, any combination of experience and formal driver training that demonstrates competency to fulfill performance requirements and responsibilities. Must have and maintain at all times a valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) with passenger and air brake endorsements. Must meet insurance standards and maintain insurability under the Borough's insurance program. If personal automobile is used for Borough business, proof of automobile insurance at statutory limits must be provided. (A CURRENT COPY OF DRIVING RECORD WILL BE REQUIRED AT TIME OF INTERVIEW.)
2. Minimum 21 years of age at the time of hire.
3. Must possess good communication skills. Ability to comprehend and apply supervisory instruction, and complete required reports.
4. Must possess the ability to deal courteously and tactfully with the public at all times, using proper judgment when to refuse service or call for assistance.
5. Demonstrated knowledge of the care, maintenance, and safe operation of assigned equipment.
6. Must be able to meet prescribed physical standards of the job. Primary normal physical demands associated with position involve:
Maintain in a fixed sitting position for up to 1 1/2 hours on a regular basis.
Job may require lifting capability of 26-50 lbs.; twisting of the body trunk, crawling, squatting or climbing. Job requires driver to push and pull wheelchair with patrons weighting 300+ pounds from door to van, and maneuver wheelchair inside the van to properly secure the wheelchair to the van.
If applicants are fitted with a prosthetic device/artificial limbs, they must be able to exert sufficient dexterity so as to maintain control of the vehicle in emergency conditions.
Driver functions involve normal arm/shoulder strength, full use of legs to operate foot controls, and the use of mirrors demands physical ability to move the head a maximum of 30 degrees left and right.
7. Experience with computerized data entry systems and personal computer applications.
8. Prefer experience with basic preventative maintenance on buses and other equipment.
9. Experience and knowledge of proper 2-way radio procedures preferred.
10. Must have (or be able to obtain within 90 days of employment) and maintain a DOT Medical Examiners Certificate.
11. This position falls under the Borough’s Blood Borne Pathogen (BBP) Exposure Control Program as it is reasonable anticipated that infrequent exposure to blood or other bodily fluids may occur while performing some job duties.
12. This position requires a criminal background check and fingerprinting.
13. A PROFICIENCY TEST MAY BE ADMINISTERED.
THE BOROUGH HAS ESTABLISHED THE GOAL OF A 100 PERCENT DRUG-AND-ALCOHOL-FREE WORKPLACE. APPLICANTS WILL BE REQUIRED TO UNDERGO DRUG TESTING PRIOR TO EMPLOYMENT AND WILL BE SUBJECT TO FURTHER DRUG AND ALCOHOL TESTING THROUGHOUT THEIR PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT.
Ordinary business contact with employees in own division and continuous routine public contact.
Does not supervise; experiences minor passenger problems daily and occasional major ones that require supervisor help and instruction.
Field work involving driving; there is a major accident/hazard risk and disagreeable conditions on a somewhat continuous basis; requires short periods of moderate lifting, pushing or pulling (26-50 lbs.). Maintain a fix sitting position for up to 90 minutes on a regular basis, and occasionally up to 2 hours.
Individuals interested in applying for this position must submit a completed online application on or before the closing date and time as specified in the Job Posting. Online applications can be located at www.fnsb.us then click on the “JOBS” tab.
Current Borough employees and those referred to by Laborers Local 942 will receive first consideration for any vacancies.
For additional information please call (907) 459-1202 or the Borough Direct Job Line at (907) 459-1206.
The Borough complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation to participate in the application/interview/selection process, contact the Human Resources Office at (907) 459-1202 or the EEO office. The EEO Compliance Officer can be contacted at (907) 459-1309.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER