POSITION TITLE: Title Examiner II
STATUS: Perm Term
SALARY: 13A $29.95/hr.
UNION STATUS: 01 APEA
REPORTS TO: Deputy Assessor
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
CLOSING DATE: 09/18/19 9:00 pm AK
Responsible for the organizational and maintenance of the Assessment Title Plant. Respond to assessment questions and issues related to property ownership/laws. Catalog the location of all properties.
1. Develop and implement operational procedures within the Assessing Department Title Plant.
2. Process the documentation of all ownership changes, leasehold, and/or other interests that are taxable and/or non-taxable. Verify owner, location, and description for all recorded plats and re-platted parcels within the Fairbanks North Star Borough boundaries.
3. Oversee and perform the drafting of parcels onto assessing maps from legal descriptions of documents.
4. Oversee and organize meetings with title companies, attorneys, and agents for the State to summarize types and percents of ownership.
5. Determine the taxability of leasehold, home sites, agricultural leases, contracts, and permits by government and private entities
6. Orchestrate the cataloging of new parcels in the computer for use on base maps and assessment inventories.
7. Analyze and recommend solutions to ensure clear title and proper platting of areas.
8. Assist in training of Assessing staff and other borough personnel in understanding different types of documents that affect ownership and other interests.
9. Under the direction of the Deputy Assessor, meet all statutory and Borough code deadlines as it pertains to title examination.
10. Assist the public, owners of record, attorneys, title companies, and various agencies regarding all aspects of property description and ownership.
11. Assist in development and testing of current administration/appraisal system enhancements.
12. Upon request, complete special projects from borough departments regarding title or platting issues.
13. Coordinate the scanning of all documentation regarding ownership, address, and correspondence.
14. Supervise Title Examiner I and Assessing Technician positions.
1. High school diploma or equivalent. Four (4) years of progressive title examining experience. Prefer (2) years of experience in an Assessing Office.
2. At least (2) years of supervisory experience or giving technical direction to one or more staff members.
3. Additional current training with the Alaska Association of Assessing Officers, International Right-of-Way Association, or the American Land Title classes. Senior Right-of-Way Agent (SR/WA) certification, American Land Title Certification, or State of Alaska Title License preferred.
4. Knowledge of Alaska Statutes, federal law, borough ordinances, Alaska Land Title, and right-of-way procedures.
5. Demonstrated experience in reading and writing legal descriptions and drafting maps from legal descriptions.
6. Data entry and typing with accuracy. Demonstrated recent proficiency in personal computers for word processing, databases, and spreadsheets. Microsoft Excel, Word, and Access preferred. Knowledge of AutoCAD Light, ArcView, and GIS program preferred.
7. Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly in a courteous, professional manner, both verbally and in writing.
8. Demonstrated ability to deal effectively and harmoniously with the public and maintain effective working relationships with other employees.
9. Must possess above average math skills with the ability to perform complex calculations.
10. PREFERRED: Ability to have and maintain a valid driver’s license and to meet insurance standards and maintain insurability under the Borough’s insurance program. If personal automobile is used for Borough business, proof of insurance at statutory limits must be provided. (A CURRENT COPY OF DRIVING RECORD WILL BE REQUESTED AT TIME OF HIRE)
11. A proficiency test may be administered to all qualified applicants.
Continuous contact with employees at all levels of the Borough; continuous routine public contact and frequent contact involving outside organizations/agencies.
Supervisor responsibilities: participates in new-hire interviews, provides input for employee evaluations, and other applicable employee-related actions; experiences minor problems daily and occasional major ones that must be resolved on own initiative with little immediate supervision; must use own initiative and ingenuity in handling problems; the consequences of error, carelessness, or mistaken judgment require serious effort to recover.
For the purpose of this job description, 'supervisor' means providing technical work direction and oversight. It does not include the ability to employ, promote, transfer, evaluate performance, discipline, suspend, discharge, or adjudicate grievances; those are management responsibilities handled by the manager/director level.
General office where conditions are pleasant; good clean conditions where accidents/hazards are negligible; requires short periods of light lifting, pushing and pulling (1-25 lbs.).
Individuals interested in applying for this position must submit a completed online application on or before the closing date and time as specified in the Job Posting. Online applications can be located at www.fnsb.us then click on the “JOBS” tab.
For additional information please call (907) 459-1202 or the Borough Direct Job Line at (907) 459-1206.
The Borough complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation to participate in the application/interview/selection process, contact the Human Resources Office at (907) 459-1202 or the EEO office. The EEO Compliance Officer can be contacted at (907) 459-1309.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER