POSITION TITLE: Library Assistant II (Youth Services)
STATUS: Regular Part Time
SALARY: 5A $22.33hr.
UNION STATUS: 01 APEA
REPORTS TO: Youth Services Librarian
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
CLOSING DATE: 08/18/19 9:00 pm AK
Provide a variety of library services and programs for children and young adults.
1. Assist patrons in the use of online catalog and use of library materials and resources.
2. Schedule, prepare, and perform story time program and tours for groups of all ages of children.
3. Preview new children's materials and maintain currency with children's literature.
4. Plan and perform summer reading program activities.
5. Create bulletin board displays, submit publicity to the media, and appear on television programs to promote library programs.
6. Create, prepare, and perform major public performances such as puppet shows, musical variety shows, etc.
7. Recruit people from outside agencies to produce special events and programs.
8. Compile monthly statistics of activities.
1. High school diploma or equivalent.
2. One year of library experience beyond the page level, or one year teaching experience. An Associate Degree in childhood development can also substitute for experience.
3. Two years of work experience with children in a structured environment.
4. Demonstrated knowledge of classic and current children's literature.
5. Knowledge and use of office equipment and visual aid equipment.
6. Experience with personal computers and computerized library system preferred.
7. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and perform in front of groups - large and small. (A presentation program for children will be required at time of interview.)
8. Ability to create promotional materials.
9. PREFFERED: Ability to have and maintain a valid driver’s license and to meet insurance standards and maintain insurability under the Borough’s insurance program. If personal automobile is used for Borough business, proof of insurance at statutory limits must be provided. (A CURRENT COPY OF DRIVING RECORD WILL BE REQUESTED AT THE TIME OF HIRE)
10. A SKILLS TEST MAY BE ADMINSTERED TO ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES.
11. This position requires a criminal background investigation and fingerprinting.
Frequent business contact with other employees in own department, continuous routine public contacts, and frequent contacts involving outside organizations/agencies.
Supervisor responsibilities: directs work flow of temporary/seasonal/volunteers; experiences minor problems daily and occasional major ones with little immediate supervision required; the consequences of error, carelessness or mistaken judgment require minimal effort to recover.
General office where conditions are pleasant; good, clean conditions where accidents/hazards are negligible; requires short periods of moderate lifting, pushing or pulling (26-50 lbs.).
Individuals interested in applying for this position must submit a completed online application on or before the closing date and time as specified in the Job Posting. Online applications can be located at www.fnsb.us then click on the “JOBS” tab.
For additional information please call (907) 459-1202 or the Borough Direct Job Line at (907) 459-1206.
The Borough complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). If you need an accommodation to participate in the application/interview/selection process, contact the Human Resources Office at (907) 459-1202 or the EEO office. The EEO Compliance Officer can be contacted at (907) 459-1309.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER